VAT – Annual payment
About the payment
Taxable persons subject to VAT (i.e. businesses and self-employed persons) who submit their annual return must pay, by 16 March at the latest, the tax due on the basis of the return submitted .
Payment must be made, using form F24, exclusively online, provided that the amount due exceeds EUR 10.33 (EUR 10.00 after the rounding down in the return).
Payment of VAT may be deferred until the deadline for the payment of the amounts due on the basis of the income tax return. In this case a 0.40% interest increase is applied for each month or part of a month following March 16.
How to pay and when
VAT due on the basis of the annual return must be paid by 16 March at the latest and may be paid in equal instalments, of which:
- the first one must be paid by 16 March at the latest;
subsequent instalments must be paid by the 16th day of each month (16 April, 16 May, etc.) and, in any event, the last instalment may not be paid later than 16 November.
On the amount of the instalments following the first instalment a fixed interest rate of 0.33% per month is due (therefore the second instalment must be increased by 0.33%, the third instalment by 0.66%, the fourth instalment by 0.99%, and so on).
In brief, the taxpayer can choose between:
- a single payment by 16 March;
- payment by instalment, adding 0.33% per month to each instalment following the first instalment;
- always paying off the entire amount by the income tax payment deadline, with an increase of 0.40 % for each subsequent month or part of a month
- payment by instalment from the date of payment of the amounts due based on the income tax return, first increasing the amount to be paid by 0.40% for each month or part of a month after 16 March and then increasing each instalment following the first instalment by 0.33% per month.
Payment must be made using form F24, exclusively online, using tax code 6099 – annual VAT balance payment.
April 2, 2021